Monday, March 2, 2015

Becoming a Writer



Becoming a Writer

I took someone new to bed last night (and she bears a strong resemblance to me).  She's a writer, but doesn't know it yet.  I mean, she has a powerful voice as well as a Texas-sized case of blog-fright.  Like most writers, she stifles herself because she is certain (rightly so) that regardless of the topic there are many others who know more than she.  But ALL writers, be they 6 or 106, must hear the uniqueness of their voice.  We're all allowed a place in the sun, right?

She is parsing her words, questioning whether her grammar is correct, and loving the zing from mind to hand to page.  To all tentative writers and SOL (Slice of Life) newbies, she I hope you have a great March.  Let's play!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it is so great to read the individual voices that participating in SOL encourages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't fun to play on the playground with words. They can be any kind of playmate we want. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate! There was much nervousness as I clicked "publish" last night to my first post. Glad to know I'm not alone in this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You becoming a writer sounds a lot like me becoming a runner. I consider myself a person who runs for exercise, but I struggle to identify myself as "a runner." And the joy of Slice or any other writing challenge (I did the New Orleans writing marathon week this summer) is that it gives us a chance to practice, even if it's months before we write again! Hope to see more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete