Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Puff The Magic Tutor






Dragons live forever but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant strings make way for other toys.
One sad night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

I am a teacher but I also am a private tutor for a couple of families that have become like friends.  One family has used my services for four years.  I have been putting off the realization, but must face it, my favorite student no longer needs me.  We are supposed to tutor for two hours (divided between him and his sister) on Tuesdays, two hours on Wednesdays.  For the past several weeks he is either sick or has no homework.  Tonight we concluded one hour early.  While I am awed to see the progress this boy has made and the young man he is becoming, my heart is heavy.  I will undoubtedly see him when I tutor his sister, but have no illusions that it will be the same.  What will he share as I become someone from when he was a "kid"?  Becoming obsolete doesn't feel good.  All I can do is always send him love and light and hope his successes are more than his failures, and his failures serve to strengthen him.  Sigh...

4 comments:

  1. You illuminate this unique relationship quite well. I am also a tutor of a senior and am anticipating this ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your heavy heart does not last long, as you realize your integral role in helping him to fly free... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt the same way with some of the families I have tutored over the years. You really become apart of their family as well as them apart of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The changing of relationships is interesting. My husband and I teacher middle school and have recently moved into the town we teach in. As many of our kids' classmates are children of his former students, we're finding new joy in a different type of relationship. I wish you joy and peace as you continue with this family!

    (I don't use my Google blog account - http://www.amandacornwell.edublogs.org)

    ReplyDelete